Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Buttercream

I'm a little bit obsessive about cupcake-making.  I love coming up with different combinations of flavors and seeing if they work out.  It seems like every time I have an excuse to bake, I end up making cupcakes.  Might be boring to some people, but I love figuring out what tastes great together and cupcakes are perfect for that.  Between the actual cake part, the icing, the fillings, and garnishes, you have an infinite amount of combinations.  This combination is so tasty [crazy yummy, if you will]!

I had some extra pumpkin puree from a batch of my favorite pumpkin cinnamon buns that I had made for a family brunch, so I decided to make some pumpkin cupcakes with the remainder of the can.  As I've said before, I love, love love pumpkin, so I definitely didn't mind using pumpkin in baking more than once in such a short amount of time.  For the frosting, I chose to use peanut butter.  I don't get it how people can not like peanut butter.  I love it. I love it on apples; I love it on celery; I love it in cupcakes; I love everywhere.  Pumpkin and peanut butter?  Oh yes.  So here they are: pumpkin cupcakes with peanut butter buttercream and a dark chocolate drizzle.


Pumpkin Cupcakes
[adapted from Smitten Kitchen]

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with 18 cupcake liners.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars until fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice mix, and cinnamon.  In a small bowl, stir together the buttermilk and vanilla.

Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition.  Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk mixtures, starting and ending with the flour.  Beat in the pumpkin puree until smooth.  Spoon the batter into the prepared liners equally, so that they are all 3/4 full.  Bake for 20-23 minutes.  Cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.


Peanut Butter Buttercream:
[Adapted from Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Buttercream recipe]

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 lb icing sugar
1 Tablespoon of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 Tablespoons peanut butter

In a stand mixer bowl, beat butter until smooth.  Add icing sugar, 1 cup at a time, and beat until sugar is incorporated.  Add the milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.  Add peanut butter and beat on medium until fully blended.

Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes and drizzle with chocolate syrup.



My kitchen is a disaster now.




1 comment:

Amy said...

I'd eat that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...